Nothing compares to Vanilla-Crusted French Toast (recipe here) but this is still very tasty. For Ryan’s birthday, I baked Blueberry French Toast. You can prepare it the night before and then stick in the oven that morning. Saves time (which I love).
Next time, I might make my cream cheese a spread versus cubes and try it with Challah bread. Assuming it cooks the same. Enjoy!
Makes: 8 servings
Prep 25 mins
Chill 2 hrs to 24 hrs
Bake 375°F 50 mins
Stand 10 mins
- 12 slices dry white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- Two (8) ounce packages cream cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or maple-flavor syrup
- Blueberry-flavor, maple, or maple-flavor syrup
1. Place half of the bread cubes over the bottom of a well-buttered 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle cream cheese and blueberries over bread cubes. Arrange remaining bread cubes over blueberries.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with a rotary beater; beat in milk and the 1/2 cup syrup. Carefully pour egg mixture over the bread mixture. Cover dish with plastic wrap and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and cover dish with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake about 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, and topping is puffed and golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with blueberry-flavor or maple syrup.
To dry bread slices, arrange bread in a single layer on a wire rack; cover loosely and let stand overnight. Or cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes; spread in a large baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 300 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice; cool.